Tuesday, May 19, 2009

I am going to beat you with my X

Politicians are a special breed. Sunday I went to a family gathering at my aunt's house. I had never visited her house before, long story, but that is for another time. The state of the road shocked me speechless and that isn't easy to do. The road can only be described as a cart road. Usually a cart road runs through a cane field but this one actually ran through a neighborhood. This neighborhood sits in the midst of several cane fields so maybe that would explain the unbelievably bad state of the roads.

I was glad I had left my car at home and came with my sister. After turning off the main road, when we saw the road we assumed that we had taken a wrong turn. The sight of my cousin's car coming down road assured us that we were on the right path. The road is rough, bumpy, full of holes and appears unchanged from the days of slavery. There were no signs this road had ever been paved. Relatives who drove four wheel drive vehicles had no problem navigating the road. maybe that is why the road has not been fixed, the Ministry would need four wheel drive vehicles to get there.

This area had the same parliamentary representative for over twenty years and for the last 14 years his party was the Government. I can not imagine that he ever visited that area and saw the state of the roads. One of his colleagues was the Minister responsible for roads and transport. Their constituencies bordered each other and they are both from that parish.

I wonder if any one in that particular neighborhood voted for that representative over the last twenty years. As tax payers, we need to demand more from our leaders. No more voting for the party. Responsible citizens need to examine each candidate and party on their record of service to the people before voting.

There is no way of I lived in that neighborhood that any politician would get my vote unless that road was repaired.

No comments:

Post a Comment